Construction to begin on I-64/Blankenbaker Parkway interchange | Transportation
From Councilman Stuart Benson
LOUISVILLE, KY – The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) recently awarded a contract for pavement repairs and operational improvements at the Interstate 64/KY 913 (Blankenbaker Parkway) interchange in Louisville.
Work is scheduled to begin this week to build an additional lane on northbound Blankenbaker Parkway and to replace cracked concrete pavement on two of the I-64 ramps.
A third lane will be constructed on northbound Blankenbaker Parkway between Bluegrass Parkway and the entrance ramp to eastbound I-64 (see diagram below). This lane will provide direct access to eastbound I-64 and will be signed as an “exit only” lane.
Concrete pavement will be replaced on the ramp from northbound Blankenbaker Parkway to westbound I-64 and on the ramp from eastbound I-64 to northbound Blankenbaker Parkway. To accomplish this work, these ramps will each be closed for a six day period. The dates for these closures have not been decided and will be based on construction progress and weather forecasts.
“Approximately 35,000 vehicles travel on Blankenbaker Parkway each day at the I-64 interchange. This project will help improve traffic flow for motorists accessing I-64 from Blankenbaker Parkway,” said Matt Bullock, Chief District Engineer for the Department of Highways Louisville District. “Replacing the concrete on the ramps will improve the ride quality through this interchange.”
Other improvements included in the project are:
- Replacement of concrete pavement on southbound Blankenbaker Parkway between the eastbound I-64 exit ramp and Bluegrass Parkway
- Lengthening of the left turn lane on southbound Blankenbaker Parkway to eastbound I-64
- Lengthening of the left turn lane on northbound Blankenbaker Parkway to Gateworth Way (across from Ellingsworth Lane)
- Replacement of the asphalt median with a decorative stamped concrete
Construction is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, March 20 with lane closures on Blankenbaker Parkway between Bluegrass Parkway and Ellingsworth Lane (mile points 2.3 and 3.0). These lane closures are scheduled for Wednesday – Friday this week from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.
Lane closures are also scheduled for this weekend from 7:00 p.m. on Friday, March 22 until 6:00 a.m. on Monday, March 25. Due to the construction work and limited turning radius, large commercial vehicles will be restricted from turning right from southbound Blankenbaker to westbound Bluegrass Parkway and from turning right from westbound Bluegrass Parkway onto northbound Blankenbaker Parkway.
During the entire project, lane closures are prohibited during weekday peak traffic hours between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
Gohmann Construction Inc. was awarded a contract in the amount of $1.76 million. Work is scheduled for completion by June 1, 2013.
The starting date and duration of work may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen delays occur. Dial 511 or log on to 511.ky.gov for the latest in traffic and travel information in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. You can also get traffic information for the District 5 counties at www.facebook.com/KYTCDistrict5.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder
- Woman accused of stabbing man after beating him in the head with spoon
- Four suspected of stealing 'truck load' of scrap metal from vacant warehouse
- Family of murdered woman pleads for answers
- Turkey-stuffed shoppers line up for Thanksgiving deals
- Bus company JCPS deemed unsafe resurfaces under new owner