Crews complete repair of navigation lights on Kennedy Memorial Bridge | News
FRANKFORT, KY – An electrical crew has repaired a short circuit that caused a temporary outage of navigation lights on the downstream side of the Kennedy Memorial Bridge.
The repair project required a temporary closure of the bridge’s right lane for southbound traffic Tuesday night. The Kennedy Memorial Bridge carries Interstate 65 across the Ohio River between Louisville and Jeffersonville, Ind.
A crew from the contractor D.H. Elliot Co., together with personnel of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) Louisville District, located the short circuit and replaced a section of old, defective electrical wiring. Work was completed about 11:30 p.m. EDT.
In keeping with procedure, KYTC engineers notified the Coast Guard of the outage. The Coast Guard issued advisories to mariners traveling the river.
The Kennedy Memorial Bridge is equipped with 10 navigation lights – four red lights and one green light on each side. Red lights, augmented with red reflective panels, mark the bridge piers. The green light on each side marks the center of the navigable channel.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder