Louisville Zoo guests name Zebra | News
From The Louisville Zoo
LOUISVILLE, KY - The Louisville Zoo’s newest Zebra foal has a name — “Ziva” — named for the character on the hit CBS show NCIS. Ziva’s new name ties into the foal’s father’s name – Gibbs – also a character on NCIS.
Names were submitted by Zoo guests in a contest sponsored by Floyd Memorial Birthing Center, and zookeepers narrowed the names to three for public voting – Abby, Katniss and Ziva. Zoo guests had until June 23 to vote for their favorite name by dropping coins and bills into a naming kiosk on the Zoo’s Front Plaza.
Zack Vannarsdall from Carrollton, KY submitted the winning name.
Ziva is the first Hartmann’s mountain zebra foal to be born at the Zoo in 13 years. Born to Morena and Gibbs, the 72 lb. foal was birthed on January 18, 2013 at 2:45 a.m. She is on exhibit daily weather-permitting.
All of the proceeds of the naming contest will go to the care and feeding of Ziva and the other animals at the Zoo.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder