U.S. Postal Service offers special postmark and collectible envelopes | News
LOUISVILLE, KY — The U.S. Postal Service is once again offering limited edition commemorative envelopes and special postmarks created by Ingrid Design to celebrate the running of the 139th Kentucky Oaks and Derby.
Race fans will have several options for mailing, shipping and collecting at the Mobile Postal Unit, located at Churchill Downs in the Grandstand area, beginning Thursday, May 2nd:
- The 2013 commemorative envelopes feature wide angle images from last year’s Kentucky Oaks Believe You Can and Kentucky Derby winner I’ll Have Another, along with official Churchill Downs Kentucky Oaks and Derby logos. The Oaks envelope will be available on Friday, May 3rd and the Derby envelope on Saturday, May 4th. Cost: $10 each. Order forms are available at the Louisville Main Office.
- Postcards featuring race scenes with a pictorial hand-stamped postmark. Cost: $2 each.
- Rare and limited quantity commemorative envelopes from the past 15 years will be offered.
- Postal clerks will apply the special postmark to souvenir programs, tickets or other items with First-Class postage affixed, including a Royal Blue 40th anniversary postmark honoring Secretariat.
- Collectible framed art and commemorative envelopes honoring the University of Louisville Cardinals, winners of the 2013 NCAA Basketball Championship, will be offered. Cost: envelopes, $10; matted art, $30.
- Flat-Rate Priority mailing services will be available.
“If the Oaks, Derby or University of Louisville souvenir fits, it ships using the U.S. Postal Service’s Priority Mail Flat-Rate envelopes and boxes," says Alisa Zanetti, Kentuckiana District Marketing Manager.
"We are excited to be the official shipper at Churchill Downs for the 139th Derby season,” said Zanetti. “For race fans looking for new way to communicate their Derby or Oaks experience, the US Postal Service is encouraging fans to tweet about the postcard or souvenir they are mailing at #homeofthegreatesttwominutesinsports40208.”
Special postmarks will be available for 30 days beginning May 3 (Oaks) and May 4 (Derby). Customers should place stamped, addressed envelopes inside a larger envelope and mail them to: KENTUCKY DERBY STATION, P.O. Box 31998, LOUISVILLE, KY 40231-9998. Please specify which cancellation you are requesting.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder