Two Belles to battle for riverboat supremacy | Events
From Kentucky Derby Festival Press Office
LOUISVILLE, KY - The Kentucky Derby Festival Great Steamboat Race on Wednesday, May 1, will feature two vessels, the Belle of Louisville and the Belle of Cincinnati vying for Ohio River supremacy. The same task and scoring system that was implemented four years ago will return this year.
The winner of the Great Steamboat Race will be determined by the vessel which accumulates the most points from performing a series of tasks assigned to each competitor throughout the day and during the race. The task competition gets underway at 2 p.m. on Wednesday at the 4th Street Wharf. The ten tasks are listed below:
- Task No. 1: Jousting inflatable competition (10 points for 1st, 0 points for 2nd)
- Task No. 2: Obstacle inflatable course (10 and 0 points)
- Task No. 3: Handy line toss (10 and 0 points)
- Task No. 4: Monkey fist toss (10 and 0 points)
- Task No. 5: Miniature Paddle Wheel Assembly (10 and 0 points)
- Task No. 6: Calliope contest (10 and 0 points)
- Task No. 7: Buoy flag retrieval (25 points for successful retrieval, 0 points for failure)
- Task No. 8: VIP retrieval (25 points for successful retrieval, 0 points for failure)
- Task No. 9: Bourbon barrel retrieval (25 points for successful retrieval, 0 points for failure)
- Task No. 10: Boat race finish (29 points) 2nd vessel under the bridge will get 15 points added to their score.
Failure to perform a task will result in a “no score,” plus a 35-point penalty. The vessel with the most points as determined by the judges will be declared the winner. The majority decision of the judges will be final. The Awards Ceremony will take place immediately following the race on the Miller Lite Music Stage inside the Chow Wagon in Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront. The winner will be presented with a set of 12-point Silver Antlers.
Four Roses Bourbon is also hosting a competition on the boats. Each steamboat is serving a special single- barrel bourbon chosen during a tasting in April. Passengers onboard both boats will have the opportunity to sample both bourbons and vote for their favorite. The boat with the winning bourbon will receive a mint julep trophy and bragging rights for a year. Commemorative bottles from each vessel will also be available for purchase at the Galt House in the 3rd Floor Spirits and More shop.
Boarding for the Great Steamboat Race will take place from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., with the boats departing the shore at 5:30 for a 6 p.m. start. Each boat will be assigned two judges, in addition to an overall event judge from the Derby Festival.
Tickets for the Belle of Louisville (limited availability) cost $130; Belle of Cincinnati tickets cost $60 (dinner not included, but concessions available on board). An $80 ticket is also available for the Belle of Cincinnati, which includes a Four Roses bourbon tasting and appetizers. Passenger tickets for both boats may be purchased by calling (502) 584-FEST. Free spectator viewing at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront and along the banks of the Ohio River.
Contributing sponsors of this year’s Great Steamboat Race are Four Roses Bourbon, Republic Industries International, Inc., Captain’s Quarters Riverside Grille and Lite 106.9 WVEZ.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder