Thunder bridge closures, viewer tips | Events
LOUISVILLE, KY - The Kentucky Derby Festival will be closing the Clark Memorial/2nd Street Bridge in preparation for Thunder Over Louisville.
CLARK MEMORIAL/2ND STREET BRIDGE CLOSURES THIS WEEK:
- Thursday, April 18: 9:30 a.m. – CLOSED thru Sunday at 2 p.m.
- Friday, April 19: CLOSED ALL DAY
- Saturday, April 20: CLOSED ALL DAY
- Sunday, April 21: CLOSED Midnight to 2:00 p.m.
PEDESTRIANS AND BICYCLE COMMUTERS:
From Thursday at 9:30 a.m. until Saturday at 11 a.m., pedestrian and bicycle commuters needing to cross the Clark Memorial/2nd Street Bridge may do so using a free shuttle van operated, as needed, by the Kentucky Derby Festival. To request a van ride, speak with a security officer at either end of the Clark Memorial Bridge. The bridge will be completely closed – and no shuttle will operate – from Saturday, April 20, at 11 a.m. until Sunday, April 21, at 2:30 a.m.
TRAFFIC and EVENT HINTS for Thunder:
- NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE, BIKES, SKATES, SKATEBOARD, GLASS BOTTLES OR PETS allowed anywhere in the permitted event area. (This runs north of Main to the River bounded by Clay and 8th). Patrons can bike or board to the event venue, but will be asked to carry them while in the permitted area due to safety in large crowds or check them at the bike valet. Picnic baskets, plastic bottles, blankets and lawn chairs are welcome (No food or drink allowed in Thunder Chow Wagon at Festival Plaza). All parcels will be subject to police search.
- Canopies or tents of ANY kind are not permitted within Waterfront Park. They can damage the underground irrigation system and obstruct the view of other attendees. Structures will be required to be taken down.
- Kentucky Derby Festival, Louisville Metro Police Department and Waterfront Development Corp. personnel will strictly enforce NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING, NO TENTS – all personal items left unattended overnight in the event venue will be considered abandoned and removed (camping gear, coolers, tarps, chairs, etc ).
- Arrive as early as practical for the best space. (Waterfront will open at 9 a.m. for the public.) FoodFest and Thunder on the Ground (interactive exhibits) open at 11 a.m. throughout the venue. The North Great Lawn viewing area opens at 9 a.m. and is a Pegasus Pin admission. The Thunder Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park also opens at 11 a.m. It is a Pegasus Pin admission. The airshow begins at 3:00 p.m. The fireworks kick off at 9:30 p.m.
- Park as far away from the event area as you can comfortably walk. This will make exiting traffic easier. Visit http://www.louisvilleky.gov/metropolice for the best place to park to exit in the direction you intend to go.
- Use TARC buses to get to the event. TARC offers several committed routes and buses for the Thunder viewing audience. Check out their full schedule for Thunder Day buses at www.ridetarc.org
- P.A.R.C. and Riverside Garages in the area are accessible until full for special event rates. For more information on garage and lot locations contact the Parking Authority of River City (PARC) at (502) 587-PARK or Riverside at (502) 584-2459. All handicapped spaces are honored until full.
- FREE Thunder Valet Bike Parking is available through Louisville Metro’s Bike Louisville program. Just ride to the northeast corner of Witherspoon Street and Preston Street across from Slugger Field. The bicycle parking facility will be open from Noon – 11 PM.
Upcoming Events near Downtown Louisville
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Reward for information in Kroger employee's murder increased to $30,000
- Reward increased to $25,000 in murder of Kroger employee
- Police: Murdered Kroger employee was targeted, not a random victim
- Police: Leads, but no motive for murder outside St. Matthews Kroger
- Police following 'several solid leads' after Kroger employee's murder